Abhyanga – The Ayurvedic Massage
A Pleasant Prescription for Mind/Body Health
How can a ritual so luxuriously relaxing, so blissfully comforting as a full-body warm oil massage rev up your body and mind, gearing them up for peak performance? There is an explanation for the seeming contradiction. Accumulated stress and toxins in the mind and body dissolve during the ayurvedic massage. A full-body warm oil massage therefore acts as a powerful recharger and rejuvenator of mind and body.
“Abhyanga” — the ayurvedic oil massage — is an integral part of the daily routine recommended by this healing system for overall health and well-being. Traditional ayurvedic texts wax eloquent on the benefits. Here’s what one says — “Give yourself a full body oil massage on a daily basis. It is nourishing, pacifies the doshas, relieves fatigue, provides stamina, pleasure and perfect sleep, enhances the complexion and the luster of the skin, promotes longevity and nourishes all parts of the body”.
Here are some of the benefits traditionally associated with regular performance of this pleasant daily ritual:
- Increased circulation
- Toning of the muscles and the whole physiology
- Calming for the nerves
- Lubrication of the joints
- Increased mental alertness
- Improved elimination of impurities from the body
- Softer, smoother skin
- Increased levels of stamina through the day
- Better, deeper sleep at night
- Abhyanga provides the means for trans-dermal absorption of the healing qualities of the herbal infused oils used in the massage ( usually sesame oil is applied). It helps the skin to perform its diverse functions efficiently, whether it is allowing toxins to be released from the body or nourishing and hydrating the tissues. It is like oiling the engine of your car — if you do it regularly, your engine will be in peak condition, and give you years and years of trouble-free performance.